A perfect location for the centre of Funchal and all interesting gems that the town has to offer. On the gentle stroll downhill you will pass the glorious avenue of Jacaranda trees that are riot of colour from late April through until June. On the right side is the large open space of Santa Catarina Park that also has many interesting trees and shrubs and also sweeping views of the town, the mountains and out to sea. The harbour area is spread below.
Nearby we have a number of very good coffee shops, convenience stores and good restaurants. There are also bus stops which will take you to various other areas..
This rather special house is of a traditional style, a family home known as a ‘Quinta’. Built over a century ago it is painted in typical colours of Madeira with a red tiled roof and has a delightful enclosed garden with many flowers and shrubs. A little haven of peace where you can sit, relax and enjoy your surroundings. There are also two sun terraces with views across the town, up into the mountains and out to sea.
It is spacious and although an older style, has been charmingly modernised. The atmosphere provided ensures that you will feel that you are staying in a local family home rather than a hotel block.
- Accommodates up to six people in comfort and comprises
- A large open plan sitting room with fireplace and furnished with many family antiques and comfortable seating. TV,DVD and radio/CD are also provided. WiFi Available.
- French doors look onto the garden area.
- Dining Area with large table and chairs.
- Downstairs cloakroom and basin decorated with Portuguese tiling.
- A large kitchen decorated with Portuguese tiles and equipped with electric oven, gas hob, dishwasher, microwave and large refrigerator/freezer. There is also a large pine cupboard and table and chairs for kitchen dining.
- An elegant wide staircase leads up to the first floor where there are three bedrooms.
- A master suite has an extra large king sized bed and has doors leading onto a side sun terrace, facing westwards this is ideal for enjoying the afternoon sun. A sun lounger and wicker chairs are provided. There is a dressing room with wardrobe and also a tiled en-suite bathroom, with basin, w.c and bath with shower over.
- Bedroom 2, is furnished with a double Four-Poster bed and has a built-in wardrobe.
- Bedroom 3, has a single bed and built-in wardrobe.
- All bedrooms have mosquito protection at the windows and shutters.
- Also on the first floor is a tiled family bathroom with walk-in shower, w.c. bidet and basin; hair-dryer is provided.
- Stairs continue to the upper floor with doors that lead onto the upper sun-terrace, complete with two sun-loungers. Here there are distant views of the Desertas Islands and up to the mountains.
- The upper room has velux windows in addition to the French doors and is furnished with a pretty iron, full-size, day bed that is ideal for an adult or child.
- Outside in the walled garden, we have provided a table and chairs for dining and at the rear of the house is a covered area with shower & w.c. Ideal for use after a walk on the levadas and for leaving boots and macs. There is also a washing machine and drying area.
- We do not have our own swimming pool but we do have an arrangement with a nearby hotel where, for a small fee, you can enjoy their large pool and also a child’s pool, and a restaurant and bar. Towels are provided and you can also swim in the sea. An attendant is there to help you.
- A taxi is included in the rental fee to transport you from the Airport to the Villa (return to airport is not included).
PRICES for 2019:
|January 1st to Feb. 28th||£650 per week|
|March 1st to May 31st||£690 per week|
|June 1st to October 31st||£755 per week|
|November 1st to December 15th||£650 per week|
|December 16th to January 4th 2020||£1100 per week|
Above prices are for up to four people using the Villa and using the two double bedrooms. Extra charge of £100 per person per week for additional people.(children £75)
Use of extra bed/linen £35
*These prices include being met at the Airport by taxi and transported to the house. (return to airport is not included)
A refundable Damage Deposit of £200 applies.
Submit your review
We spent the month of February in the Quinta Elena and had a wonderful time. The location is perfect, just a short walk to downtown Funchal. Everything that you need for your stay is in the house. We enjoyed lunch on the patio or drinks on one of the two balconies that overlook the city. Emily, the housekeeper, is very helpful. Richard and Elaine have a beautiful property and we would certainly stay again if we return To Madeira in the future.
What a precious hideaway! We spent a week at Quinta Elena during Christmas with the family and did appreciate this cosy elegant home in a quiet surrounding but in walking distance to the picturesque town of Funchal and the harbour front. The details and personal style of the house make you feel like home immediately - not to mention the rooftop balcony where we enjoyed happy moments in the sun while looking over Funchal and the bay! Obrigada! // Quinta Elena ist sehr zu empfehlen - in ruhiger Lage und doch fussläufig bis zum Hafen von Funchal. Das Haus ist sehr gemütlich und man fühlt sich gleich wohl -vor allem auf der Dachterrasse mit Blick über die Hafenstadt. Vielen Dank!
Many thanks to Richard & Elaine for allowing us to stay at your wonderful villa Quinta Elena with all its excellent facilities and so central to Funchal town centre. It had all that we required, spacious rooms in traditional style, comfortable beds and the private garden. There was a very good bakery, shops and eating places nearby, especially the Le Bistrot Jacaranda which is highly recommended, where we dined on a couple of occasions served by Niko with his friendly manner and wonderful charm and Philippe the French chef for his tasty cuisine. We thoroughly enjoyed our 10 days in Madeira and it all seems to have been so short and brief now that we have had to return home. Our taxi driver and tour guide Manuel was very informative about the history and culture of the island and took us on absolutely breathtaking trips to amazing viewpoints and places of interest around Madeira. Manuel was very knowledgable, spoke very good English, was kind and considerate in his manner and an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to have as a guide. Would certainly recommend this property and its location to Funchal town centre as a place to stay.
Breakfast in the sunshine while it was snowing in Scotland was an ideal tonic at this time of year. We had a great week in this lovely house.
An amazing time, thank you Richard & Elaine for making us so welcome. Quinta Elena is a beautiful house to come back to at the end of a long day sight-seeing.